being a movie addict,

I have always been a fan of sad-ending stories - both in film and in novels (or songs).

when other ppl surrounds me usually expect a beautiful ending (couple who eventually lives a happy life together and ever, for example), I get more excited in picturing a sad ending. those moments when the actors find out the ugly truth; the time when the main protagonist realize her/his dream can not be fulfilled. 



perhaps, like 500 days of summer:


or blue valentine (you can find my post abt this movie here)


but, mostly, I love it when the film ends in an open kind of way. you, as the audience, gets to decide what happens. in your head, of course. in my opinion, it gives you opportunity to have an end based on how you see the film. and of course, it's like you see your life story, it is still running. 



like my all-time favourite films below,
I love this movie, not only because it ends in such a way, but also because (other than being a fan of Ethan Hawke) of other reasons. it's different. almost all you see is conversations.






before sunrise which ends with both protagonists went their separate ways and promised to meet after a year or half a year (if I'm not mistaken, I'm such a lousy fan). audiences might wonder if they meet or not. it's up to them. but the director (and the main actors who also act as producer in its sequel) of before sunset have their says about what happens after before sunrise ends.




and of course, this film also ends in such a way that leaves how the couple might end up to  audiences.

but, anyway, does my preference mean I'm such a bitter person, like some of friends say? I don't know. maybe yes, maybe not at all. for me, not being spoilt with a happy ending makes you realize that life works in a funny way with lots of surprises. some in the way you expect, some not. you just need to work your ass off to get what you want. or sometimes, it's just not meant to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Valentine - a movie about love that doesn't work

Pojangmacha: Korean angkringan

haruskah ak diruwat?