Looking for rom-com Korean drama?

I've been meaning to write another drama review since a long time ago, but I didn't have enough time to put my train of thoughts in order. As you might have noticed, I (used to) like to watch Korean drama, especially when I was still doing my undergrad study - or to be precise, when I was lost in doing my thesis. LOL. However, I'm pretty selective in choosing what to watch or not. We're talking about drama here. Yes, Korean drama (not like Indonesian soap opera with very long episodes. oh they can be in years) tend to be short, but still they generally span around 12-20 episodes. I DON'T watch drama with 20 episodes. So, even with the drama being very popular (such as: Rooftop Prince - which I stopped watching after the sixth episode or so) or actor/actress I like (again the example is Park Yoochun in Rooftop Prince), I resist not to watch it. Why you might ask - well, I get bored pretty easily and I tend to find filler episode annoying. So, I become impatient most of the time. That's why I don't watch too many K-drama nowadays (this year I finished two). Now I go back to Japanese dorama (which I used to watch when I was high schooler). Aside from the reason that I am now very fascinated by Japan(ese food), these dramas are generally shorter in episodes (normally 10-12 episodes; 12 usually being the unusual long). However, I do still watch Korean movies.

Mostly I watch family and/or romantic-comedy drama, and yes, I do have my favourite. I'll list them here. This list contains five romantic comedy drama I've watched over the years in order to my preference.

1. The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry (2010)




I think I've already written briefly about this drama around a couple years ago (here). The reason I put this drama on my number one is it's impossible not to like it. Sounds not good enough, huh? Should I put it into a list then why I like this drama? Well, first, the three lead characters are awesome! The drama focuses on the life of three best friends who are all somewhat successful women with careers. I'm not saying they're successful because they're rich or anything but because they're very passionate with what they do. They do their jobs because they like them (aside from meeting life expenses of course). None of them are pictured perfectly - they have flaws here and there, but they grow throughout the series (though I can't say Buki is flawed. I think she's the coolest character I've seen on K-drama). That makes it easier for people to identify or at least empathize with the characters.

Second, the story line. They're all already over 30 and guess what? That's the age where people are getting tired (although not stopping) of asking you when you are getting married. None of them are married. One chooses not to marry, one is desperately wanting to get married, and another is in between. Although you'll see love lines in the series (and I'm not talking about the usual love lines between rich and poor. For example, the main love line is between an older woman and younger man. The love line is also portrayed not as cheesy as other K-drama tends to be like - according to me), the story still focuses on the way these three women (especially Lee Sin Young) faces challenges in their lives, and how they choose to respond to those challenges. Three, it's realistic in a way I can identify with the characters. I'm not thirty yet, but yes I face challenge with my chosen (future) career and love life, and I too have my female best friends who help me along the way. Besides, the chemistry between Kim Bum (yes, you who watch Boys Before Flower must notice him) and Park Jin Hee is there.

Although I think Buki character is very cool, my favourite character in the series will still be Lee Shin Young. She's just like every ordinary woman. She has her rise and fall moments in the drama. But her aspiration about the kind of career she wants to do can definitely motivate me.

Yep, especially if you're a woman in need of inspiration, I'd suggest you this drama.

2. Reply 1997 a.k.a Answer Me 1997 (2012)



Well -- I think a lot has been said about this very popular (proven from its rating despite it's aired in cable TV) drama. Many drama review sites have recapped this show. And I can't agree more with most of them. Indeed, it's endearing because of so many aspects in it from the characters (each and every one of them), the personal development of each of the character, the constant reference to 90's popular culture (despite very Korean), the choice of Busan as its setting (unlike most other K-drama set in Seoul), the soundtrack (even if there are only two of its original soundtracks), and of course its storyline.


The drama begins following Shi Won in 2012 who are attending a high school reunion. There, she meets with her best friends - all in their early 30s: Yoon-je, Joon-hee, Yoo-jung, Hak-chan, and Sung-jae. Then it starts backtracking to 1997 - the year she's in high school. Each episode (almost?) always begins with a narration from mostly Shi Won or Yoon-je; and in some parts from other characters including Sung Jae. The narration will re-appear again and again, asserting why they do what they do and how they feel about it - along with some flash backs. The basic premise is about growing up - although it gives lots of reference to K-pop fan culture in the beginning of K-pop boom in South Korea. I think it's very relevant with so many attention brought to K-pop fan culture nowadays with rising issue early this year about ssaeng fans (or more appropriately called stalker). That's why I started watching it in the first place - because I was writing my dissertation about fan culture at that moment.

Probably the main thing that attracts many viewers is the way the show plays with the question of who Shi Won ends up with which is talked in the 2012 scenes (it keeps going back and forth, although the main storyline is in 1997 onwards). She's depicted in her 30s self as a married woman who is also pregnant. But who is the husband - that's the main question probably. So, the drama unravels this throughout its 16 episodes. However, among many things I like about this drama is how easy it shows family bonds and what life is like without seeming like a preacher. The same goes to the friendship story line. The bond between Shi Won and her father, her father and his brother, Yoon-je and his brother, and the list goes on is also the strength of this show. One of the most touching episode is when Shi Won's father gets sick. You'll see a hidden emotion that Shi Won and her father actually shares and also why her father and mother can still survive against all odds. In addition, to me, what appears as side story in each episode actually hold an important role to understand that episode better. It may seem unrelated, but I think it always relates to the main theme of each episode. I think that's one of the strengths of this drama. One of my favourite episodes is Next Time? No. Now! - as Sung-jae who rarely appear as a character on his own plays a large part in the story. And his story touches me deeply. 

The relationship between Shi Won and Yoon-je really mirrors Shi Won's parents. They're like best friend trapped for life together - yet they're happy. (Oops!). I can't also forget the goat sound each time something not funny, lame or cannot be responded to comes up. For example, the sound often comes up each time Shi Won's mother cook (because she cooks A LOT, enough to feed a neighbourhood - kidding). Seriously, I do recommend this drama strongly to anyone - even though you generally don't like watching K-drama. This is very worth to watch. If later after you watch, you have different opinion with me - then I'll treat you to a glass of drink. :D

Funny thing is I met a professor of communication at a conference, he's from Seoul. And he told me this show is also his favourite. Well, I guess this show really crosses boundaries of generation (and culture). Now, I want a reunion with my school mates!


3. World They Live In (2008)



This drama centres around the life of behind the scenes of television drama production. The two leads are both directors, played by Hyun Bin and Song Hye Gyo (yes, I watched this because of her). Both are senior and junior in university as well. Last but not least, they were also ex lovers (well at least, in the beginning, they are portrayed in senior-junior relationship at work, best friend too despite having dated in the past). Although the main storyline can be said revolving around the two leads' relationship, they also talk about different difficulties people have in life in general - especially those who works off screen TV production - how they work to meet deadline for example. There is this kind of saying that drama is not like real life - and that's how it's being played and twisted (sort of) in the drama.

Although some think that there are too much going on with too many characters in the drama, I don't really mind. It just shows the people who are working with you also have a background. And sometimes, it's not enough by just being a co-worker. In addition, what I think makes this drama more interesting and somewhat original is the kind of narration and flash back (which also appears in Reply 1997) in each episode. It gives the audience a peek into how the characters are feeling - and one of them truly saddens me. LOL. Basically it's saying that feeling lonely is when somebody treats you like you're special, but leaves you without saying anything. Isn't that sad? :(

The love line between Hyun Bin and Song Hye Gyo is one of its main attraction - arguably because the two were dating at that time. Different to many K-drama I've watched so far (but maybe not that different to the most of the drama I present here), it's not just the cheesy kind of relationship - and it's somehow more of an adult-like relationship. They're colleagues, best friends and lovers so the dynamic between them is interesting to see. One of the problems that Hyun Bin character faces is although he loves Hye Gyo's character so much, he can't help but feel inferior to her due to their different economic status. So, seeing her succeed in her life as a director somehow makes him feel a bit insecure. That is probably one case that happens the most in real life (smirk). But, the way Hyun Bin's character deals with it is what matters and makes the drama worth to watch. Also, there are many other interesting characters - for example: the quirky script writer and the despicable director (I think the actor play this role so well).


4. Coffee House (2010)



Park Shi Yeon (the girl holding the guy in above picture) is the reason I watch this drama. I saw her first on Family Outing and I don't regret spending time watching this drama last year. This drama is about a talented yet quirky novel author (played by Kang Ji Hwan). Everyone (who doesn't really know him) thinks he's a very attractive and handsome guy - the MR. PERFECT guy; except he's not. The two people know this the best are his secretary (played by a member of idol girl group T-ARA) and boss of the publishing house he is in who happens to be his best friend as well. The drama is hilarious as it follows the 'training' and relationship between the author and his secretary, for example: as he's a thriller novel writer, he asks his secretary to try to put herself into a large luggage and make a phone call in order to see if it's doable and logical or not. Yes, he's actually scary in a way. But he also holds secret of a past trauma which is only known by his best friend and boss (played by Shi Yeon).

What I like about this drama is although the two female characters are very different, both of them are portrayed quite positively. I am speaking in particular for Shi Yeon's character. Yes, sometimes she seems too perfect it's hard to empathize. Still, I like her character here. And I see a very different Shi Yeon from the one I watched in Family Outing which I think convinces me that she acts her part well. Their matured relationship (Shi Yeon with Ji Hwan's character) is another elements that keep me watching.


5. I Need Romance 2012 (2012)



Following The Woman Who Still Wants to Marry, this drama here goes with similar premise. In 2011, they launched I Need Romance (picture above), and then this year, they launched I Need Romance 2012. Well, the sequel title might sound like a joke to you. Yes, sometimes I do think that way too. I watched both series. It follows three imperfect women who are again best friends (just like The Woman Who Still Wants to Marry). In the 2012 series, one of them lives a 'fake' marriage (meaning she's not that happy with her marriage, but the couple pays more attention in keeping with public image as they're both public figures). The other two is not married yet. And like TWWSWTM, one is on the side of wanting to get married (or if not then, wanting to be in relationship). The lead character is, again like TWWSWTM, in between. The 2011 series has more or less similar lead characters. The different thing between TWWSWTM is INR focuses on how relationship (should) grows, more than anything, and the idea of soulmate being a person who's a best friend but also a lover; and who knows you for the real you- which in both series is interpreted as the person you've known longest. Or at least that's how I read it from this drama (which happens to the lead characters). 

I'm not really a fan of the lead female character. She sometimes talks too much and wants to know from A to Z, so that the guy she dated for over 10 years and had an on-off relationship with doesn't really have a chance to speak and breath. So do I. But through this, she (and he too) learns what makes them hold back and what's not working in their relationship; thus in the end tries to work it out. However, I must say, the character Jae Kyung appears very strong in the 2012 series. She seems to be self-centred, but she's actually not. And she's my favourite in the show.

Weak point is I think both are too much alike. I know it's a sequel (with different characters and all), but they even have similar ending. Isn't that a bit too much? It doesn't really leave us to think that perhaps finding new love is also a possible choice. What wins me though is its visual works and how in both series, it's the girl who chooses which guy she wants to be with. 

I think by now, you should be able to tell what kind of drama I tend to like and how they reflect the kind of things I want in life.

HONOURABLE MENTION:

Full House (2004)



Yes, this might be the legendary drama for many people at my age, especially because Indosiar plays this drama A LOT. Last I heard, they still broadcasted this over again last year. Don't expect too much on the logical side of the story. It may be the worst in history (for me). I talked about this before. So, yes, in terms of logical narrative, don't expect too much. It began to grow on me because at that time I hadn't seen many drama with hate turns to love kind of relationship. The couple (Rain and Song Hye Gyo) absolutely did a lot of bickering. Yet, they fall in love. Their bickering is funny - and that's one of the factors that keep me tuning in. However, there are many dramas (not strictly speaking about Korean) with this kind of love line - and I've grown tired of it. So, I strongly avoid it.

[Oh, there's now Full House 2. I don't know what it's about as I don't watch it. But I notice the guy from My Tutor Friend 2 - a Korean movie I enjoy watching - is one of the cast.]

BONUS:

I think I must also add A Gentleman's Dignity (2012) here - although I must admit that I have yet to finished the series.



The drama is almost like the life of adult version of F4, except it's not. I was interested to watch it mainly because I wanted to see Kim Sooro acting (he's one of the members in Family Outing - a variety show I'm very fond of. Originally he's an actor, but I've never seen him in drama. I watched his movie once: Ogamdo). It presents the story of four forty-something quite successful guys who are best friends. One is a cafe and bar owner who is married with an older, richer and more successful (career-wise) than he is; and thus living a carefree lifestyle (meaning flirting almost any woman he sets his eyes onto). One is a widow whose wife died previously; he is a successful lawyer hiding his love for his best friend's younger sister. The other two work as architect and contractor (sort of) in the same office; they fell in love with two best friends. The storyline is quite interesting - mainly focusing on how these four best friends with different characters live their lives, resist love when they come, fight for their career (although only as side story - meaning very little), and maintain their bonding. Lots of hilarious scenes - but I stopped around episode 11 when the lead actress finally got together with the lead actor (much to my disapproval). Sorry for the spoiler once again. My biggest complain is basically about the lead female character - I know it's supposed to be a male-to-male friendship kind of story, but can't she be more desperate than she already is?

So, enough of my ramblings. Go visit any drama streaming site you can get hold of if you're inspired. Go sleep if you're not inspired. Lastly, shall we listen to this classic OST?



PS: sorry for the spoiler. I tried my best not to mention too many, but eventually I think I sort of did - so accept my apology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Valentine - a movie about love that doesn't work

Pojangmacha: Korean angkringan

haruskah ak diruwat?