Food torture

Taking a break from watching all those horror movies for my presentation this Thursday. But then I'm torturing myself by watching Osen (2009) - a Japanese drama centred around the life in Isshoan, a traditional Japanese restaurant in a suburb near Tokyo (or perhaps suburb of Tokyo). It follows Handa Sen (a.k.a Osen) - the okami or proprietor of the restaurant: a young, at times seems naive and innocent (but in actuality that is not the case) and talented woman who LOVES drinking and Ezaki Yoshio - a know-it-all annoying young apprentice (who grows throughout the series). Isshoan here is contrasted with all other meals that ordinary Japanese find more convenient nowadays like the bento box you can get hold in konbini, fast food, and easy cooking (with the help of Mr. Microwave that is shown in the first or second episode). Not only does Isshoan prepare their meals traditionally without the help of the made-to-help-human-life-to-be-easier machines, but they also grow and prepares most of the ingredients by themselves. They also rely mostly to artisan and craftsmen for ingredients and stuff they can't make themselves. Osen is also shown wearing kimono/yukata in all episodes of the drama (or at least until episode 5 where I'm at currently). She represents Isshoan, not only as the owner, but also as a protector for Japanese culinary tradition (and thus, culture). 





Surely, like Konkatsu! there are a lot of food preparation and food eating scenes in the drama for example: 



the Okami thanking kitchen staff for their hard work

Osen and Ezaki tries their luck with "modern" hamburger in nearby restaurant

Osen and Ezaki eating the "modern and Western" hamburger in nearby restaurant

Yes, watching this, you'd feel the constant need to gulp before your saliva drops down your lips. :D

As if watching Osen is not enough, I now track Indonesian food (along with coffee, Japanese food, Korean food) tag in my tumblr [oh I've been doing tumblr this past few months since I did my dissertation]. So, my tumblr dashboard look like this: 







I don't know what to do with myself any more. Maybe, it can be considered a food suicide attempt. Well, I know it's not going to help me feeling full with all the food voyeurism I am involved in. But, think of it this way. I am preparing myself for a long culinary journey that I will be taking soon at my home town with my mom and friends. Sounds good, eh?

Well, I suppose, that's only the justification I now have.

PS: the drama is good! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Valentine - a movie about love that doesn't work

Pojangmacha: Korean angkringan

haruskah ak diruwat?