people in London and their cell phone

ah, i just realized. been here for a while, but i hardly wrote about my impression of london.

it's summer already. weather is nice, though sometimes it's terribly hot in my attic room. 

about a month ago, I eventually made up my mind to reorganize my room.
as a result, now my study desk faces the window directly to allow sunlight;
hence hopefully prevent me from laziness


view from my window, yeah it's a sunny day

when I first wrote this draft, that was my first impression on London's summer. but I must take it back as summer days are often not so different than any other days in London, be it winter, spring or fall. like today, it's now 13 degree Celsius - and don't ask me about rain or wind coz it happens almost every day.

I just went back from uni.  one day, I came back from school and got on a bus. I sat with an African lady who talked on the phone since I got on, up until she got off - which took about 40 minute. but that's not an unusual view here. like today, almost a month after I wrote my initial draft for this post, a British looking lady (well, I actually can't really tell - but I notice the accent) sat behind me and talked on the phone since I got on the bus, until I got off which was like 55 minute. hmm. 

since I got here, this thing always amazes me. people talk on the phone, a lot. by "a lot", I really mean a lot. without meaning to eavesdrop, sometimes I could catch some conversations because some people do not mind talking loudly (except some people talk in other language than English so I couldn't understand). they talk about food, what food they want to eat that evening or for lunch that day. they talk about their jobs and their annoying boss. they talk about friends who like another friend who actually like them. they talk about neighbours, husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, or perhaps pets. or simply about where they are at the moment of speaking and how far til they get home/ any destination. I think, they talk about everything in the world people can talk about.

not only in the bus, people also talk on the street. alone. sometimes even without holding any cell phone. so it's really not unusual to see somebody walking straight to you smiling or even laughing and talking (seems like talking to nobody but themselves). but, they're on the phone (there's earphone and Bluetooth headset).

so, what's with this? 

I've ever mentioned this in class. and to some people I know who quite agree. but still, we can't really figure out why. sense of security maybe -- showing to people that you're quite social even if you seem to be alone; or perhaps showing that you're not really alone - there's somebody somewhere looking out for you. or they can't just bear the thought of being alone in the bus or in the street or anywhere so they need someone they could talk to.

compare this with Indonesia where people text A LOT. and write A LOT on social networking services. hmm. any thoughts? I don't. not tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Valentine - a movie about love that doesn't work

Pojangmacha: Korean angkringan

haruskah ak diruwat?